Here are some commonly asked questions about baby layette.
Baby layette is the collection of clothes and supplies that parents put together for their new baby. Often this collection is assembled before the baby is born, as many of these items are really useful to have on hand in the first few weeks of your life as a new family.
Here is a list of the layette items that we have found can be very helpful for new parents to have:
- 3 – 4 Nighties: A few very simple nightgown style sleepers are great thing to have for your baby. They are cozy and easy to slip on, and can also make diaper changes in the middle of the night a little bit easier, because you don’t have to take the whole sleeper off.
- 6 – 10 Diaper Shirts/Infant Bodysuits: Most babies spend a lot of their awake time in a onesie. No legs and short sleeves make infant bodysuits versatile and easy to pair with other clothing items. It’s a good idea to have enough on hand to account for a few outfit changes a day.
- 6 – 10 Sleepers: Most babies spend a lot of their asleep time in a sleeper. Sleepers often have long sleeves and legs and can be footed as well, to keep your baby warm and comfortable while they sleep.
- 1 – 2 Sweaters: Sweaters are the perfect thing to put over a onesie if it gets a little chilly. Having a couple in your baby’s layette can be very helpful.
- 1 – 2 Newborn Hats: Having a simple and soft cotton hat for your newborn can be very beneficial for chilly days when your little babe is feeling cold.
- 2 – 4 Swaddling Blankets: Whether you choose swaddling blankets or a swaddling solution product like the Miracle Blanket, it can be very useful to have something to wrap your new baby up in before they go to bed.
- 1 – 2 Nap Bags: Nap bags are a great tool for times when you want to put a blanket on your baby, but are nervous about leaving your baby alone with a loose blanket. A nap bag works like a fitted sleeping bag for your baby, so you can put them to bed warm and cozy without the risk of them pulling the blanket up over their head.
- 2 – 4 Soothers: Not all parents like to give their baby a pacifier, but if you are planning to, it makes good sense to have a few on hand.
- 1 Pacifier Clip: If your baby does like to have a pacifier, it will be important for you also to have a pacifier clip. They greatly reduce the risk of your pacifier being tossed aside or lost.